SQL Querying: Fundamentals
Many organizations use databases to store their most critical information: the information that manages their day-to-day operations. After the data is stored in databases, however, it is useless unless you can retrieve it for further business analysis. One example of a database management system is Microsoft SQL Server 2012. The language you use to retrieve information from SQL Server 2012 databases is the Structured Query Language (SQL). This course, SQL Querying: Fundamentals, will teach you to use SQL as a tool to retrieve the information you need from databases.
In this course, you will compose SQL queries to retrieve desired information from a database.
- Connect to the SQL Server database and execute a simple query.
- Include a search condition in a simple query.
- Use various functions to perform calculations on data.
- Organize the data obtained from a query before it is displayed on-screen.
- Retrieve data from multiple tables.
- Export the results of a query.This course is intended for individuals with basic computer skills, familiar with concepts related to database structure and terminology, and who want to use SQL to query databases. Basic end-user computer skills and some familiarity with database terminology and structure are required. Completion of one of the following Logical Operations courses or equivalent knowledge and skill are highly recommended:
- Target Student:
- Using Microsoft® Windows® 8.1
- Microsoft® Windows® 8 Transition from Windows® 7Course ContentTopic A: Connect to the SQL Database Topic C: Save a Query Lesson 2: Performing a Conditional Search Topic B: Search for a Range of Values and NULL Values Lesson 3: Working with Functions Topic B: Calculate Data Using Aggregate Functions Lesson 4: Organizing Data Topic B: Rank Data Topic D: Filter Grouped Data Topic F: Use PIVOT and UNPIVOT Operators Topic A: Combine the Results of Two Queries Topic C: Retrieve Data by Joining Tables Topic A: Generate a Text File Appendix A: The FullerAckerman Database
- Topic B: Generate an XML File
- Lesson 6: Exporting Query Results
- Topic B: Compare the Results of Two Queries
- Lesson 5: Retrieving Data from Multiple Tables
- Topic E: Summarize Grouped Data
- Topic C: Group Data
- Topic A: Sort Data
- Topic C: Manipulate String Values
- Topic A: Perform Date Calculations
- Topic C: Search Data Based on Patterns
- Topic A: Search Using One or More Conditions
- Topic D: Modify and Execute a Saved Query
- Topic B: Query a Database
- Lesson 1: Executing a Simple Query
- Course-specific Technical Requirements